Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Deconstructed chairs update

I worked on the chairs today for a bit and I got the side panels finished

Again, because I have never done anything like this before, I am taking my time. As I was carefully dissecting these chairs, I was learning how they were put together, so I could repeat the process where I needed to. 


I'm doing the easiest jobs first so I can slowly get the hang of this. The side panels were really easy. I simply lined the inside with two-sided carpet tape. 


Be sure to remove the paper as you go so when you overlap the tape it sticks together really well.


The backing here is just cardboard, so it's easy to do this step.
Then I cut a piece of burlap to fit this area and pressed it in. That section is now finished. 

Now for the tiny section under it.

I put a strip of tape on a piece of cardboard the same length of the board under where you put the first piece of burlap.


Then I took a sharp knife and cut about a half inch strip.....


Cut a piece of burlap the same width 


Remove the paper and 



stick it to the burlap



With the burlap between the board and the cardboard strip, 


Staple it to the underneath side of the wood frame piece


bring the fabric down


The reason I used the cardboard strip along the inside edge was so I had a clean, smooth line. If I would have just stapled the fabric to the wood it wouldn't look this finished.


Fold the burlap under and tack in place. I got this far on both chairs today. 

This is what I wanted my side panels to look like:


I'm really enjoying this process even though it is a challenge for sure. My next move is to add fabric to the inside back and the wings. I have learned that there are steps you have to take along the way, and they have to be done in order. 

I hope you are able to understand this tutorial, just in case you want to tackle this project yourself.

4 comments:

  1. It's looking good! Such patience you have to be able to do this. I think what I love is being able to see the craftmanship in how the "bones" of the chairs were constructed. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dreading the wing section of the chairs, that will be the challenge! I am learning as I go, but I don't think I'd want to learn how to upholster. I'd need some mad sewing skills:/

      Delete
  2. I have been watching your project with baited breath, Rhonda. I don't think I would ever have the patience or know how (or energy) to tackle this project, but I am so engrossed in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Kim I hope I don't disappoint! I have had these chairs for several years, I did not want to spend the money on reupholstering them (been there, done that!) I made slipcovers for them and had them on for about a year but they were just too frilly for me. I love industrial farmhouse, I hope I can do this!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from my readers, I need input so I can post things that interest you. Questions encouraged:)