This is another project revisited because after further inspection of my past posts, which by the way are awful, I decided to revisit some of my favorite and hardest endeavors! One project being these slipcovers. I had only made one other before these just to practice to see if I could do it, and that one was hard too. I simply took my time and when I got frustrated I would just walk away. I don't have turorials on how to make slipcovers because frankly.........I didn't know what I was doing! Anyway, I got through it and I think that making slipcovers for wing back chairs are probably the hardest because of the "wing".
I bought a set of these chairs at a local second hand shop and they were in excellent condition, except the fabric was not a choice I would make. That didn't matter because I had planned on having them reupholstered............until I found out how much it would have cost to have them reupholstered. So I was stuck with them, just like this, for a year or more. Trust me, they were pretty clean when I bought them, like they had never been used. I usually don't like to buy second hand upholstered furniture, but I trusted the shop where I bought them.
I really wanted to make slipcovers so it took me awhile to get up the nerve to do it. And after I collected all the fabric that I wanted to use I jumped right in.
I watched a few videos on YouTube before I started and I also watched a few of Miss Mustard Seen videos on how to make slipcovers, she makes it look so easy!!
I pinned pieces of fabric on the chair inside out and then pinned them together along the seams, I'm not going to lie when I tell you I wanted to pull my hair out a few times! I thing the hardest part was sewing the pieces together, especially in the crossroads where seams came together, and the bulk of the fabric you are working with.
I saw an inspiration piece on Pinterest that I loved and that's where I got the idea of using four different patterns for the covers.
My inspiration from HGTV
I loved how casual this chair looked and I wanted the same look for mine. I didn't want to add any trim making it harder for me, and I didn't want the doilies either. And I made the bottom ruffle long so it swept the floor.
I ordered most of the fabric from eBay, some worked some didn't, but I eventually ended up with four fabrics that worked together.
The sun is shining brightly today so my pictures are a little muted, but I'm not going to deny the sun to do it's job!
I am really pleased with how they turned out, especially because these were only my second time making slipcovers. This was one job that I was glad to get under my belt!
So let me know what you think!