Thursday, January 30, 2014

Beautiful Settee made from a twin bedframe!

As you may know, I had a catastrophe happen a couple of years ago where I lost a lot of my blog photos. It seems that when I opened a Google+ account to store pictures in because it made it possible for me to write blogs from my Ipad. Well, I didn't and still don't know that much about Google+, but it seems when you store pictures in Google+ and go in and delete photos when your finished with them, it deletes them from everything. Or so I think, that is the only explanation I have for my disappearing blog photos!


After I discovered this I had a little bit of a meltdown, and got upset and just started deleting posts. That is why there is no rhyme nor reason to my posts! At the time I just wanted to throw in the towel and quit blogging altogether.


So, I am going through and picking out some of my favorite projects to repost. These are the projects I am most proud of and I would like to share them with other bloggers by posting them on their blog parties. And in order to do that, I need to rewrite them.


This project is the one that I am so proud of, because it cost me almost nothing to do and it was so easy with a little help from my husband.


I found this antique twin bedframe at a garage sale, I fell in love with the style, and I was just going to paint it up and sell it. I thought it would be adorable for a little girls room, but after having it for awhile I decided to try to make a bench out of it. I saw one made somewhere and thought the style of this bed would be perfect for a settee. The bed frame cost $10.00 and the 4" foam I bought to use for the cushion cost $40.00 with my 40% off coupon at JoAnn's Fabrics. The fabric I had from a previous project that was left over. So this project cost $50.00 and our time. Hope you love it like I do!



Cutting the footboard in half to form the two arms of the sette



After attaching the arms, we used a side rail to brace the front



I stripped the old finish off using a non-toxic citrus stripper



The finish came off very easy



The wood was beautiful underneath so I didn't need to paint the piece



After the finish was removed we cut a piece of plywood to form the seat of the bench. I didn't take a picture of that, but it sits right on the rails



I upholstered a 4" foam cushion



I think it turned out gorgeous!

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. I see why this is one of your favorite projects; it's perfect! And, how easy it would be, if your decor changes, to be able to change out the upholstery on the seat? I love the colors you used with it, and the wood is gorgeous. So glad you didn't have to paint it. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy:) Rick and I proud of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - beautiful - I've always wanted to try this - but I'm afraid my talents stop at the end of a paint brush lol
    Gorgeous redo !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzan, this was the first time we've done something like this!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous project! Thanx for sharing at THT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! I am so excited that you chose to feature my settee! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from my readers, I need input so I can post things that interest you. Questions encouraged:)